Accelerate your Analytics Career
Friday, September 24th, 2021
Tableau's Data Analyst exam is currently in Beta and will remain in beta until October 6th. The beta version features 59 knowledge-based items and 13 lab questions. We will update this practice exam to correspond to the current version offered by Tableau.
To simulate the exam experience, answer the knowledge-based questions without using Tableau or a web browser.
Click "Next" to go to the first question.
1. You created a calculated field called Index with the formula INDEX (). You used the field in the chart as shown below. There is confusion among your audience between INDEX and RANK.
How would you explain to your audience the difference between RANK and INDEX?
2. You connected to a data source which is excel based and “Use Data Interpreter” feature comes up as shown below.
3. You create a pie chart for customer segments in sample superstore dataset. Part of the requirement is to show the segments with their % contribution to the overall profit. The pie chart should be like the one shown below
4. You want to rebuild a workbook using a new data source, you plan to replace the data source. What is the correct order of steps you will undertake to replace the data source given the listed steps below?
5. You have created a chart showing sales by year and category for Superstore dataset as below
You would like the chart to show the sales value above each bar, as shown below.
How will you accomplish the task? [select all that apply]
6. You want to track the average number of days between the Order Date and the Ship Date by Ship Mode. The visual should give the user flexibility of choosing basing on day, week, month or year.
Which function can you use to produce the above results?
7. You want to create the following chart that shows profit by subcategory. The graph should be sorted from the lowest to the highest and color coded from red to green.
What sequence of steps will you take configure the chart?
8. You have Orders table in Microsoft SQL Server as shown below.
You want to create a custom SQL Query to limit the data to only East or West regions. What should you do accomplish this task in Tableau?A. When connected to SQL Server, Right click the Orders table, Select Custom SQL Query and write the following query:SELECT * FROM orders WHERE region = 'East' + region = 'West'B. When collected to SQL Server, Double click New Custom SQL and write the following query:SELECT * FROM orders WHERE region = 'East' or region = 'West'C. When collected to SQL Server, Double click New Custom SQL and write the following query:SELECT * FROM orders WHERE region = 'East' and region = 'West'D. When collected to SQL Server, Double click New Custom SQL and write the following query:SELECT * FROM orders WHERE region = ‘East’, WHERE region = 'West'
9. There is a requirement to create a table in Tableau Desktop that shows Total Sales by Region and by Segment as shown below.
You have created a flow in Tableau Prep as shown below.
What other steps will you add to accomplish the task?
10. A company that deals with hiring out different types of vehicles has their monthly revenue by vehicle type as shown in the table. They would want the data to be transformed and have a separate column for each vehicle type instead, so that the data will be easier to analyse.
What actions can you take in Tableau Prep to accomplish the task?
11. You have the following dataset:
You want to create the following line chart.
How should you create the line chart?
12. You want to create a map based on the drinks dataset. The map is shown below.
You now want to convert the map to a filled map. What will you do to convert the map to filled map?
13. Which of the following statements is true about Unions in Tableau?
14. Tableau can connect to various data sources including relational databases. When connecting to most relational datasources what is the most common mandatory information required?
15. You have the following dataset:
16. You have a line chart the Monthly sales for the Consumer segment for the year 2020. However you want to see the trend based on previous 30 data points from the current value.
The line should show the following output
What actions will you take to come up with the chart?
17. You want to report year to date (YTD) sales by subcategory.What calculation will you put in the calculated field YTD?A. If [Order Date] <= TODAY() OR DATETRUNC( "year", [Order Date]) = DATETRUNC("year", TODAY()) THEN [Sales] ENDB. If [Order Date] > TODAY() OR DATETRUNC( "year", [Order Date]) = DATETRUNC("year", TODAY()) THEN [Sales] ENDC. If [Order Date] <= TODAY() AND DATETRUNC( "year", [Order Date]) = DATETRUNC("year", TODAY()) THEN [Sales] ENDD. If [Order Date] <= TODAY() AND DATETRUNC( "month", [Order Date]) = DATETRUNC("year", TODAY()) THEN [Sales] END
18. You want to create a set that shows top 10 customers. The requirement is that when a new customer enters top 10 the sets should automatically show that. How will you accomplish that using sets?
19. You created the line chart below that shows sales and another line that is used to predict median sales.
What function and chart configuration are used to create the line chart?
20. Given a line graph showing profit by month of order date, what should you do to show a forecast for the next 3 years?
21. You are creating new dashboard and you have added two sheets to the dashboard in containers as shown below.
What steps were taken to come up with that dashboard?
22. You have created a map showing Taxi pick up in Manhattan in New York City as shown below.
What extra configurations can you do to change it to a heat map that is shown below?
23. Your users want to be able to navigate from one view to another view in a dashboard. How should you configure the requirement?
24. You have been requested to add a company logo on the dashboard that you are creating. How will you add the company logo?
25. You want to do padding to one of the dashboard contents. You want to adjust padding for only one side. What should you do?
26. Create basic charts from scratch (bar, line, pie, highlight table, scatter plot, histogram, tree map, bubbles, data tables, Gantt, box plots, area, dual axis, combo)]
You have the following highlight table showing profit Sub-Category and by Region.
You want to create the following heat map.
How should you configure the marks for the heat map?
27. You are publishing a data source to tableau online. When will you consider using an extract?
28. You want to rank your data such that if rows have the same value they share the rank that is assigned to the first instance of the value and no rank values are skipped so that you will see consecutive rank values. Which RANK function should you use?
29. The table below shows quarterly sales.
When LAST() is computed within the Date partition what will be the output for the year 2021 Q2?
30. You have the following data set:
When you calculated the average amount you discover that the result is not including the missing data. You want to calculate the Average Amount. What formula should you use?
Time is Up!
Thank you Tracye! I added answers to question 59 and changed the second graph on question 9.
I am afraid I don’t fully understand. Can you please elaborate? Are you referring to the solution guide?
Correct Answer: Go on Analytics tab, Drag Forecast to the chart, Right click anywhere in the chart, Select Forecast options, change Forecast length to 3 years and click Ok.
Question: How to “Drag” Forecast from Analytics tab? I can’t do it.
Make sure that you have a line chart built like this – Order Date on the Columns shelf (right click it and select the continuous Month – where it says May 2015 as an example) and Profit in the Rows shelf. Now Forecast should be enabled and you should be able to drag it.
Hope this helps, Narcis
Thank you so much for this ! I followed your desktop specialist exam and passed with flying colours. Was looking for data analyst tests and came across your mock tests. The real test questions are very close to how you modelled. Just scored 93% for your first test, good to find my weakness. Thank your !!
Congratulations on passing the exam! We’re happy you’ve found the practice tests useful.
Thank you, Narcis
Hey! Question 30. When you calculated the average amount you discover that the result is not including the missing data. You want to calculate the Average Amount. What formula should you use?
Answer Provided: ZN(AVG([Amount])) Correct Answer: AVG(ZN([Amount])).AVG(IFNULL([Amount],0)) AVG(ZN([Amount])) – won’t show you zero, when data is missing, I checked. The right answer is either one I gave (ZN(AVG([Amount]))) or AVG(IFNULL([Amount],0))
The correct options are 1 and 4. You’ve chosen ZN(AVG([Amount])) – it’s not correct since the first calculation made will be the AVG([Amount]) – which will not include the missing data. After that calculation is made the ZN function appears. AVG(ZN([Amount])) however is correct since the first function that runs is ZN – it will check all the values and replace null with 0, after that the AVG function will calculate on the results of ZN – it won’t show any 0 because we will only see the final average result (made on all values, including nulls that were transformed in 0).
AVG(IFNULL([Amount],0)) – is doing the same thing as AVG(ZN([Amount])).
Hi! I took the test and there were no answer options for MAC for example “Right click (control-click on a Mac) the map and change to Density map.” above.
Why do you have them in your test prep? It is confusing
The real exam is taken on a virtual machine with Windows, but preparing for the exam can be done on Mac as well. So, the controls for Mac are included for the users that use Macbook computers at home and want to prepare on them for the exam without creating a virtual machine with Windows.
Hope this makes it clearer.
Thank you! with your help I approved my exam! cheers!
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *
Notify me of new posts by email.
Specialist Practice Exam Data Analyst Practice Question PDF Specialist Practice Question PDF
Our online Tableau courses can help you get certified as a Data Analyst or Tableau Specialist.
Interested in learning Power BI? Check out the quizzes here.