Accelerate your Analytics Career
Tuesday, February 15th, 2022
Are you preparing for the Specialist exam and trying to do it without paying for test prep materials? I've written this free Tableau desktop Specialist practice exam for you! Not only is this free, but there is no login or signup required.
Hope I've answered all your questions! Taking a practice test is the best way to prepare. And taking a free practice test is the cheapest and best way.
Go here to do more review before trying this free practice exam. Go here for the Specialist exam study guide.
If you're ready to start this free Tableau Desktop Specialist practice exam, click "Next" to go to the first question.
1. Which of the following is the best reason to use a live connection instead of an extract
2. Which of the following are most likely to reduce the size of an extract [select two]
3. Which file type saves both the connection information (for example the database server address), calculations and groups that you've added, along with an extract of the data?
4. After adding one table to the canvas, what steps should you follow to create a relationship with a second table located on a different database?
5. A relationship is most similar to which type of join?
6. How are Book and Info combined?
7. Which of the following can be used to combine tables at different levels of granularity without duplicating data? [select two]
8. What steps will change "Category" to "Product Category"?
9. Which fields shown in the data pane below, when included in a map, will cause the system generated latitude and longitude fields to be added to the view? [select three]
10. Default formatting can be set for which of the following [select two]
11. What steps should you take to create this bar chart?
12. Which type of date field is used below?
13. Which type of chart would be most appropriate for showing the relationship between two measures?
14. You have a bar chart showing monthly revenue by store. What should you do to combine the bars for two of the stores?
15. You have created a polygon map and would like to be able to see all major cities shown on the map. How should you show these?
16. You have a scatter plot that uses different symbols to represent different product sub-categories. What steps should you take to replace the symbol for Bookcases with a square? [select two]
17. You wish to organize related dimensions into a series of different levels. Which feature should you use?
18. Which of the following describe the steps needed to do a manual sort? [select two]
19. You have a line chart showing total sales by year. How can you change this to a bar chart? [select two]
20. Which best describes this chart?
21. You have a crosstab view showing the average listing prices for homes by zipcode. What would be the best way to update the view to remove zip-codes with average listing prices about 300,000?
22. Your workbook has two different data sources, both sharing a field called "Business Name." How can a single filter be used to filter both data sources on this field?
23. What steps should you take to place a filter on an Order Date field so that one of the worksheets in the workbook shows only orders placed in the current month when the viz is opened?
24. What reference line options should you use so that the showing the average sum of sales per sub-category for each category?
25. Which "Compute Using" option is being used in the "Percent of total" calculation shown below?
26. Which of the following chart types is most likely to include a bin?
27. Which calculation will add the Tax field to the Sales Price field?
28. How can totals be added to crosstab view? [select two]
29. You have a scatter plots of products with Sales on the X-axis and Profit on the Y-axis. What should you do so that the points on the plot are larger depending on the total quantity sold? [select two]
30. You've created a bar chart showing Sales by Category, but you'd like the user to be able to choose to have other measures shown in the same format. How could this be achieved?
31. Which interactive elements can you add to a dashboard? [select three]
32. You'd like to add the same worksheet multiple times, but with different filters selected. Which feature will support this?
33. Which option creates a dashboard action?
34. Which of the following describes the relationship between the default dashboard layout and device-specific layouts? [select two]
35. You've created a crosstab view with dimensions and an aggregated measure. What steps should you take to export the crosstab to Excel?
A - B - C - D -
37. Which of the following would most likely be a measure?
38. Which of the following will create an axes when it is added to the row or column shelf? [select two]
39. You have a line chart showing the number of motor vehicle accidents per month. You drag the "accident type" dimension to the color measure. How does this change the line chart?
Time is Up!
Hi Supriya – we received your comment. Please let us know if you need any help.
Q22 says select 2 answers but only 1 correct answer provided. Q33 correct answer: NA?
Hi Joe – thank you for pointing out these mistakes. Q22 has only one right answer and has been updated to refect this. I also corrected Q33.
This is great. Thank you so much! I have a pretty rudimentary understanding of Tableau and this really helped me improve.
I noticed that for question #12, when I do months on discrete, it only gives me the date part of month and you have that down as the correct answer. Shouldn’t the correct answer be continuous, as the axis is showing DATE VALUES with Month and the year. Can you tell me as to how it is still discrete? Thank you!
The date field used is discrete in the visual for question 12. The way to achieve this view is to select the continuous Month(Date) (the one with May 2015 example) and switch it from Continuous to Discrete.
Hope this helps, Narcis
Now I see! Also, is another indication that when it is switched to discrete, there is no Axis title, there is a header?
Hi, for shouldn’t the answer be Continuous date, QUARTER(DATE), so it will reduce crowd of labels in axis how can it reduce if it is Continuous date, Month(DATE) for question 18, can you please explain “Click a header and drag it to the new location” answer
For q18 – from a visual you have in your worksheet, click one of the headers, and while still holding the click, drag it to the left or right/ up or down (depending on the type of visual you have), as you wish to be ordered. This is an example of manual sorting you can do.
For the first sentence – I believe you are referring to question 40? Is that correct?
Today i passed desktop specialist tests thanks to the practice test questions in this site. I also brought the 3 practice tests. Its worth it, helps you build confidence.
Congratulations on passing the exam and thank you for the feedback!
Hi ! Is there any practice test available for Tableau Data Analyst Certification?
Yes, you can find on the site a lot of resources for the Data Analyst certification (there is one free practice exam, paid practice exams or free practice quizzes).
Thank you, Narcis
I still think the correct answer to question#12 is continuos. i dont understand why it’s discrete….
If the data field would have been continuous you would have noticed that not all month-year labels were visible, this usually happens in a continuous date field. You can replicate the visual on your local machine to check this : add sales and order date to the view -> create a line chart -> right click the Order Date field -> choose Month (May 2015) -> right click again Order Date and choose Discrete.
In question No 21 Using a Dimension or a measure filter can work A filter for Zip code along with a condition for average of listing prices or A filter on listing prices with a filter on average and using the “at least” condition Can you help me out?
The correct answer would be the measure filter. You can use Tableau to try each option and find the correct answer.
Can we clear sort for entire workbook?
Clearing sorting for the entire workbook is not possible, it is possible only at a worksheet level from Worksheet -> Clear -> Sorts.
Hi 🙂 Can you explain the answer for question 25? I cant get my head around table calculations. Thanks.
In the printscreen from the exam, each category has different subcategories and segment values. Each section of the table that represent one category with its values is a pane. When you will choose to commpute a table calculation across Pane (down) it will calculate the percent of total inside that pane (that section of values for one category). Best way to understand all these options is to try them using a workbook and try to notice the results you are getting.
Hope this makes it clearer. Narcis
22. Your workbook has two different data sources, both sharing a field called “Business Name.” How can a single filter be used to filter both data sources on this field? Answer Provided: Create a relationship between the two tables so that the filter can propagate Correct Answer: Select the “All using this data source” option for the filter
This is incorrect…the second data source is not connected (even in a relationship) you would want to use the “All Using Related Data Sources” option…OR the option I chose which would still require that filter option but you MUST establish a relationship first
The blend relationships will be automatically created because the fields share the same name so that step won’t be necessary. All there is to do is select the option for the filter.
Q 21. If I place Zip in to Filter and then go to Condition Tab–By field–Sales-Average–300000. Isn’t it remove ZIP code of that value?
Yes, that would have the same output as the one desired in the question. But it is not one of the options 🙂
I think Q12 is continuous
The correct answer for Q12 is discrete, a continuous field would result in a visual with the x axis starting from January to December, while the discrete one starts from the first month of the data (in this case January 2018) and ends in December 2021.
Hope this makes it clear.
Are 3 tests from the bundle in learning Tableau different from the one in UDEMY ?
No, they are the same. If you purchased the Udemy course, there is no need to repurchase the practice tests again.
hello ,is there any way to check your score ?
After you click submit, a screen with the score and all the questions that you’ve answered incorrectly should appear.
24: Shouldn’t the answer be “per cell using avg of sum of sales”, since the question is asking for per sub-category, not per category?
The question is correct, the visual is displaying values per sub-category, each grouped in their categories (Office and Furniture). So the user must display an average line inside each category panel calculated at the level of their sub-categories only – ex: for Furniture: Bookcases, Chairs, Furnishings, Tables.
Hope this makes sense. Narcis
‘You scored 48 out of 53 Points or 87 %.’ >> Probably I am ready to go.
Great score! Good luck on your exam!
Dear Narcis, I have a questions on 32. You’d like to add the same worksheet multiple times, but with different filters selected. Which feature will support this? Answer Provided: Neither stories nor dashboards Correct Answer: Stories Only ——————————————————————————————————————————————– Could you please elaborate how can you have same exact worksheet with different filters on for different Story’s? Here is what I did: Created WS #1 with two categories selected in the category filter Created Story#1 with WS#1 Went back and edit WS #1 with 3 categories selected this time in the category filter Created Story#2 with WS#1 (updated filter) as story cannot take more than 1 ws or dashboard. Went back to Story #1 and confirm WS# has 3 categories selected.
What am I missing?
Actually, a story can take more than 1 worksheet or dashboard. You have to add a new story point (upper left corner, you have the option to duplicate the story point or create a new one blank). After that, you will be able to have the same worksheet multiple times with different filters.
This practice exam helped me a LOT. I got half wrong on the first round, pampered my ego with chocolate, studied the areas I needed to, then got 97% on the second round. This is exactly what I needed to “know what I didn’t know.” Thank you. So much to learn. lol
Thank you so much. I just passed specialist exam with score of 912 it was full of 1 month study from tableau help & using the tool and hands on practice. The practice questions gave me idea of what exam would be and many were coming in exam I was able to answer quickly & spare the time for other hard questions/new ones. I can rate the exam difficulty as 6/10 not that hard actually was worried too much. Good luck for yall. this YT vedios also ware helpful: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lx9P4mfWMTs&list=PLyAvoiThEnyH1_p0HWsVlavZY5okhNr1_
both have similar exam questions as in exam. review both.
Hey, is this practice test helpful in real exam
We like to think that it is useful, otherwise we wouldn’t made them 🙂 Keep in mind, these aren’t real exam questions, so don’t expect to have the same questions in the exam.
#12 is continuous. Not every month is shown. In your explanation to Chloe, you say “If the data field would have been continuous you would have noticed that not all month-year labels were visible, this usually happens in a continuous date field.” Well, in fact, not all month-year labels are visible. It literally skips every other month. So you are basically confirming that the answer is continuous while saying it is discrete. Very frustrating as numerous people correctly believe it is continuous and you continue to tell them otherwise. I’ve compared it on tableau and you are incorrect. Please fix it.
Please follow this steps so you you can get to the view in the quiz – Order Date on the Columns shelf, Sales on the Row shelf, choose Line (continuous) chart -> right click on the Order Date from the columns shelf and select Discrete. Hope this makes it clear.
may be que 32-33 ) You’d like to add the same worksheet multiple times, but with different filters selected. Which feature will support this? Dashboards only in tableau Dashboards allow you to include multiple instances of the same worksheet and apply different filters to each instance that why i think ans is dashboard not stories .
The correct answer is Stories because in a dashboard you can set the filter to apply only at a worksheet level, not a visual level.
Why is question 12: discrete. It looks like the data is continuous (with data also present between ticks)?
The correct answer for Q12 is discrete, a continuous field would result in a visual with the x axis starting from January to December, while the discrete one starts from the first month of the data (in this case January 2018) and ends in December 2021. To see the difference please follow this steps so you you can get to the view in the quiz – Order Date on the Columns shelf, Sales on the Row shelf, choose Line (continuous) chart -> right click on the Order Date from the columns shelf and select Discrete.
I have to disagree with your answer on 12. If you take a date that is continuous and drag it to the visual, you get the month and year when you change from year to month, like May 2015. I tried what you said and couldn’t get a discrete date to keep the month and year while keeping it discrete. Whenever I have month and year the pill is green, or continuous.
Here is what I found on Tableau Help:
Continuous Dates Applies to: Tableau Cloud, Tableau Desktop, Tableau Public, Tableau Server
By default, dates come into the view as a discrete field. Date parts (such as year or month) can be used like any other discrete field and create labels in the view.
However, you can change dates to continuous if you choose. Select one of the Continuous date options on the field’s context menu to use date truncations (such as March 2020 or 25/03/2022) instead of date parts. Continuous dates create an axis in the view.
James – Took me a while and to do this in Tableau a few times. Discrete create headers and continuous create axes. If you look at the chart, it has a header for Order Date, so therefore it is discrete. Try the steps they outline and you’ll see the difference.
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *
Specialist Practice Exam Data Analyst Practice Question PDF Specialist Practice Question PDF
Our online Tableau courses can help you get certified as a Data Analyst or Tableau Specialist.
Interested in learning Power BI? Check out the quizzes here.